Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Banana Bread

Banana Bread

My daughter Mary actually had to go to a cookbook to produce banana bread. How could I have neglected her culinary education so flagrantly? She let the cat out of the bag recently on her blog, Mary’s FoodJournal.  To make amends, I am giving Mary and the world the best banana bread our family has ever eaten, or at least never complained about. I made it for the family many times and they all are well and wonderful, including Rick, who presumably is in heaven still enjoying the memories.

Here is glorious banana bread, a simple bread from the Boston Cooking-School Cook Book, by Fannie Merritt Farmer, 8th ed., 1948, completely revised by Wilma Lord Perkins, page 76. Applause may begin now.

Banana Bread

3 very ripe bananas                         2 cups all purpose flour
¾ cup sugar                                    1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs                                             1 teaspoon baking soda
                                1 cup chopped nutmeats (optional)

Crush bananas with fork. Add eggs, beaten light. Lightly mix flour, salt and soda, and add to banana mixture. Add optional nuts. Put into loaf pan. Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees. Makes one loaf, 5x9 inches.


I revised the cookbook’s words slightly. Also, I am not opposed to my daughter using a cookbook, but I still believe that I could have shared this version of banana bread with her before today. She is an excellent cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment