Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Peanut Butter Cookies

People like these. Just ask my (adult) kids, who grew up eating them. Homemade is better than any other way to have ttem, including Girl Scout cookies. My cookies are easy to make and worth the time. My sentiments are stated in this quote from the late Peg Bracken: “When you hate to cook, you ask a lot of a cooky recipe. It must call for no exotic ingredients. It must be easy. It must not, above all, call for any rolling out and cutting. It must produce extremely good cookies. And quite a lot of them.” (The I Hate to Cook Book, 1960)

These peanut butter cookies fit that description. They are from my 1948 cookbook that has never failed me: The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book, by Fannie Merritt Farmer, 8th edition.

Peanut Butter Cookies

½ cup butter                            1 egg
½ cup peanut butter               ½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup white sugar                   ½ teaspoon salt
½ cup brown sugar                 ½ teaspoon soda
                        1 cup flour

Cream butters, beat in sugar, add other ingredients and more flour, if needed, to make mixture still enough for drop cookies. Arrange by spoonfuls on buttered cookie sheet, press flat with floured spoon and mark with floured fork. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees).


My comments: I suggest mixing the flour, salt and soda together before mixing them with the other ingredients. This recipe makes about 24 cookies, but the number will depend on size.

No comments:

Post a Comment